You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What if a student fails the UNIV 100 course in Fall?
A: There will be some sections of UNIV 100 in the Spring. A student who fails the course (or withdraws, or earns a D and has a major in a college that requires a C or better) will be encouraged to email The student will be required to retake UNIV 100 in the Spring.

Q: What if a student does not complete UNIV 100 in the first year?
A: A student who does not complete the course in the first year must contact their academic advisor to discuss a suitable substitute for meeting this requirement. Once a substitute course has been selected, the student should then email to obtain approval of the substitution, and a memo for the student's advising folder documenting the approval.

Q: What does the First-Year Experience program do when students who are not freshmen enroll in the course?
A: Generally, UNIV 100 instructors contact the students to notify them that they are not allowed to take the course (as they are not freshmen). This allows us to discuss with the student their reason for enrolling in the course; sometimes, there are extenuating circumstances, and we allow the student to continue in the course. In most cases, however, we drop them from the course and assist them in finding a suitable alternative that meets their needs.

Q: What about transfer students?
A: Because UNIV 100 is required for all UL Lafayette degree programs, transfer students are technically required to take the course. However, transfers who come in as sophomores (or higher) and who have appropriate credits transferred in will be given credit for UNIV 100 at the point of transfer. Transfer students who do not have sufficient credits when transferring in should discuss with their transfer advisor whether to take the course or enroll in an appropriate substitute course. Whether credit is given at the time of transfer or a course taken at UL is substituted for UNIV 100, appropriate substitutes shall be those courses that meet General Education learning outcomes (such as critical thinking, problem solving, oral/written communication, and information literacy).  Questions about the appropriateness of substitute courses should be referred to the First-Year Experience office.